This blog is published to enlist support and ideas for improved transit and better traffic conditions in New York City.
Traffic and transit reform should have the following goals:
• Increase service, with vast reductions in crowding and travel times on public transportation
• Change the culture of the MTA to put riders first
• Reduce vehicular traffic and particulate pollution in all 5 boroughs and the entire downstate region
• Establish strict enforcement of all existing traffic laws
• Produce local and national campaigns to increase driver responsibility
• Dedicated funding (a lockbox) for mass transit
• Expand access to public transportation for city neighborhoods not served
• Provide incentives to promote alternate transportation, from hybrids to bicycles.
A plan that shoots for these goals is a winner, and would improve the economy and quality of life for all New Yorkers. It can happen, but only if we demand it.
I invite and welcome your comments. Please email me if you'd like to post on this blog.